Saturday, January 31, 2015

Peoria - Wine , Woman and JUNK

A couple weekends ago , I took a little girls trip with a few of my besties .

Our friend Kristin  had moved to Peoria and we hadn't been to to see her new home .

Plus we were going celebrate Rhonda and Kristin's birthday's .

She had had a hard time with her builder  and we were anxious to see how it came out.

Kristin KNOWS what she wants ( this is her 3rd build ) and no builder was going to tell her that was not how they did it in Peoria . Really , who was paying this bill ! Needless to say they won't be best friends ...  EVER

Her home was beautiful , as we expected .

 She has excellent taste .

Custom painted cabinets , hickory floors , granite counter tops .

What I love most is the mix of trendy , personal , vintage and art .


She loves antiques , pastels ,comfort.

 So did we .

 She ( and her husband ) spoiled us all weekend !


 Kristin wanted to give us the Peoria tour.

First she took us to this great old Sunbeam bread factory that had been turned into a center for antique shops and artists.

It had a glass blower , jewelry makers , fiber artists and more.

L*O*V*E*D  IT ! 

I love it when a city has the fore thought to save and repurpose old buildings like this . 


Can you tell I was more interested in the antique shops than the art ....

We had lunch at a fun, quirky place down the street .

Then more shopping .


She took us to an antique store that she really liked , but all of his antiques ( or most of them anyway ) were stacked in an over flow building ...

Why ?

Because he had the whole store filled ( and I mean FILLED ) with Christmas trees !

He had taken many down ( it was, after all , mid January ) . But there we SO MANY LEFT . Even the ceilings were covered with garland and lights . Julie and Rhonda had to leave , they said all the lights made them sick ....

Of course , I had to snap a picture of his wine bottle tree ! 

I had never seen one that held more bottles than mine before ! 

IT*WAS*AWESOME !


Kristin had made dinner reservations for us at a local winery .

 All I really wanted to do, was take a nap !

We got all fancied up and out we went .


I would love to see this place in the summertime !

The wine was good , the food was OK , and the music was AWESOME !


Even though we were celebrating Rhonda and Kristin , for some reason ( I am blessed ) I got a gift too ! Lucky me !

Kristin's husband travels frequently to Japan for work . She rarely goes with him,  but last summer she decided to go with him . 

Personally, I think she needed to get away from her contractor ... STAT !

Anyway.....

Lucky us ! 

We were given these adorable Kokeshi dolls . 


I just love her . She makes me smile whenever I look at her .

I have long admired Kristin's collection of Kokeshi. Even though I had never heard of them until I saw hers :) 


Sweet . Yes ? 

Kokeshi are Japanese dolls hand crafted from wood. They don't have arms or legs and they are beautifully hand painted .

Kokeshi have been made since the early 19th century to sell to tourists visiting the hot springs in the northern region of  Japan .

There is another story ( unsubstantiated ) that the Kokeshi were given to a wife by her husband when a female child died .

We all decided to go with the story that they are chotskies made for tourists .



We had a fabulous and much needed girl's weekend away . 

I don't know what I would do without these chicas in my life .

P.S. Kristin made that beautiful quilt behind us !


Yes...

I am blessed .









No comments:

Post a Comment